The visa extension service is a visa service for foreign nationals with valid IV, GV, GIV, WV, RI, PE and VT visas who need to prolong their visas on reasonable grounds. Foreign nationals can extend their visas by going, in person, to the Immigration, Nationality and Vital Events Agency in Addis Ababa (Arada sub-city, Arat Kilo), or by applying online visa extension on this website. Visitors shouldn’t stay for longer than their visa allows. There are consequences of overstaying beyond the
validity period of a visa and the foreign nationals who overstay in Ethiopia are subject to fines and legal penalties.
Requirements for e-Visa Extension
- The passport of the applicant should be valid for at least six months since the date when the validity of the extended visa starts.
- Student Visa, NGO Visa(NV), Conference Visa(CV), and Journalist Visa( JV Visa) cannot be extended.
- The validity period of the extended visa will start from the next day after the initial visa expires.
Additional Specific Requirements
Relevant documents should be attached as required when applying for a visa extension.
For GV and GIV visas
- Supporting letter from the relevant government institution
For WV and PE visas
- Supporting letter from the relevant company /business organization
- Renewed /valid business license of company /business organization
For IV visas
- Supporting letter from the office of Investment Commission of the Government of Ethiopia
For RI visas
- Support letter from international organization or embassy who invited the applicant.
- Note verbale or support letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Government of Ethiopia.
The extension fee depends on the number of times the applicant is requesting for a visa extension. An additional service charge of USD 2 will also be added.
- If the visa is being extended for the first time, there shall be an additional 100% charge above the initial e-visa application fee.
- If extended for the second time for up to 15 days, there shall be an additional 150% charge above the initial e-visa application fee.
- If extended for the third time for 10 up to days, there shall be an additional 200% charge above the initial e-visa application fee.
E.g. If an applicant who applied for single entry 30 days visa is extending his/her visa for the first time, the visa extension fee will be USD 102. This means, USD 50 (initial visa application fee) + USD 50 (additional visa extension charge ) + USD 2(Service
Apply for Visa Extension